Main Forum

Mercenary Spotlight - Aethynia

5 replies
Acolyte
Arena Apprentice
"Welcome my dear,

I am Aethynia, an Avatar of Hope and child of Aurora.

Don't be afraid by this bright light, as it will cure wounds and ease your mind. Come closer, let me see you... What is your name? And please, let me know your objective and why you seek my help.

These are sacred grounds and have been preserved through the ages. If your heart is pure, I will lend you my powers and accompany you in your journey."

AethyniaMerc.jpg

MERCENARY INFO
Name: Aethynia
Source: Kickstarter exclusive reward (King tier or higher)
Traits: PVE Champion - Avatar of Hope
Starting Health: 30
Starting Hand Size: 7
Starting Charges: 0
Upgrade Cost: 25.000 Gold
Artist: Kieran Yanner
Artwork: Angel of Dawn card (Shards of Fate - PVP Legendary)

POWERS
Angelic Conversion – BASIC (4 charges) --> Transform target troop you control into an Angel

AI opponents tend to be weaker against evasive troops, and one or more flying troops on your board can quickly wreck havoc, chumping away large blocks of health from opposing champions. One big thing to take into account is that the troop is transformed WITHOUT being reverted! Which means that every buff and added ability will stick to the Angel once you use your Charge power: Valors, Blood Aura, Wild Aura, and even buff from Wild Root Dancer for example.
There are many ways to abuse this power! Think about Orchins too!

Exalted Resolve – When an opposing troop attacks gain 1 health.

We have a really powerful ability here, and right from the start it can be put to good use. Even if you opponent starts with troops on the board and attack during the 1st turn, you gain 1 health for EACH attacking troops, and this alone can trigger some buffs and even allows for Ethereal Healers to come into play as potential blockers, all for free! Usually, you can also safely block with Mesa Totemist with great effect.
Overall, shenanigans and large amount of health gain can occur with this passive alone, and make you really though to kill.

UPGRADED TEXT
Avatar troops you control have +2/+2.

While this upgrade is not mandatory to unleash this mercenary's full power, it might prove helpful and add an extra ounce of power to some specific troops. First impact of this passive power is linked to Aethynia's charge power: Angels are "Avatars" and thus, will become 6/6 (or more*) flying troops!
This also affect other Avatar troops like Angel of Dawn, Forever's Child and some others.

Note that Avatars tend not to be budget-friendly cards and will benefit more the "Full Potential" decks.

* See "Angelic Conversion" comments for more info on buffed Angels.

PARTY PASSIVE
At the start of the game, gain 1 health for each troop in your hand.

In a low-count troops deck, this bonus will be quite insignificant and won't do much. On the opposite, in a high-count troops deck, and especially while playing with a low starting health Champion, this passive power can prove really useful and help with survivability. Cherry on the top, this can trigger additional Ethereal Healers with equipment (Ethereal Coated Boots)!

DECKBUILDING
Can't include Avatars in your deck unless they're Diamond.

Not much to say here, except that some Avatars won't be allowed in your deck, but with this mercenary you'll want to stick to Mono Diamond or Diamond/Wild decks anyway. Not a real limitation per se.

DECK: FULL POTENTIAL
Mercenary: Aethynia

Troops
4x Adamanthian Scrivener (Gloves)
4x Glorious Pegasus (Head + Chest)
4x Righteous Paladin (Trinket)
4x Ethereal Healer (Feet)
4x Mesa Totemist (Weapon)
4x Ghost Howler
4x Angel of Dawn
4x Forever's Child
2x Righteous Vanquisher

Spells
2x Bring to Justice

Resources
12x Diamond Shard
8x Wild Shard
4x Well of Life

Equipment
Head: Rider's Glorious Headpiece
Trinket: Sigil of Grace
Chest: Rider's Glorious Chest
Gloves: Ink-Stained Gloves
Feet: Ethereal Coated Boots
Weapon: Totem Crush Maul

STRATEGY & ADVICE
Good starting sequence could be:
- T1: Always Diamond Shard (to be able to trigger Angel of Dawn on T2) + (Adamanthian Scrivener / Glorious Pegasus)
- T2: Diamond Shard + Righteous Paladin
- T3: Wild Shard + Mesa Totemist
- T4: Diamond / Wild Shard + Ghost Howler or (Adamanthian Scrivener + Righteous Paladin / Mesa Totemist)
- T5: Wild Shard + (Forever's Child / Righteous Vanquisher)

KEY CARDS
- Adamanthian Scrivener will trigger each time a troop enters play under your control, be it one you play from your hand or one put into play like Ethereal Healers and Orchins!
- Righteous Paladin will quickly become a massive body both able to attack or block, allowing for even more health gain and can be transformed into a killing Angel for a final blow!
- Ethereal Healer will be often start on the board right away and will keep coming back from your crypt!
- Mesa Totemist will make some very good blocks with swiftstrike and can buff all your Clerics more or less each turn (yours and your opponent's)!
- Angel of Dawn will be played for free when you draw it, thus allowing you to play something else on the same turn!
- Forever's Child will create an army of Orchins in no time, which in turn will make perfect targets for your Charge Power!

DECK: BUDGET
Mercenary: Aethynia

Note that because of Aethynia rarity and value, the "BUDGET" decklist is more of a cheaper alternative in Mono Diamond.

Troops
4x Glorious Pegasus (Head + Chest)
4x Righteous Paladin (Trinket)
4x Pious Paladin
4x Mesa Totemist (Weapon)
4x Cheery Songbird
4x Dandelion Faerie
2x Angel of Glory

Spells
3x Spectral Acorn
3x Bring to Justice

Resources
22x Diamond Shard

Equipment
Head: Rider's Glorious Headpiece
Trinket: Sigil of Grace
Chest: Rider's Glorious Chest
Gloves: Ink-Stained Gloves
Feet: Ethereal Coated Boots
Weapon: Totem Crush Maul

STRATEGY & ADVICE
Good starting sequence could be:
- T1: Diamond Shard + (Adamanthian Scrivener / Glorious Pegasus)
- T2: Diamond Shard + (Duskwing Priest / Righteous Paladin / Pious Paladin)
- T3: Diamond Shard + Mesa Totemist
- T4: Diamond Shard + Cheery Songbird or (Adamanthian Scrivener + Duskwing Priest / Righteous Paladin / Pious Paladin / Mesa Totemist)
- T5: Diamond Shard + whatever needed with the current board state

KEY CARDS
- Adamanthian Scrivener will trigger each time a troop enters play under your control, be it one you play from your hand or one put into play like Ethereal Healers!
- Righteous Paladin will quickly become a massive body both able to attack or block, allowing for even more health gain and can be transformed into a killing Angel for a final blow!
- Ethereal Healer will be often start on the board right away and will keep coming back from your crypt!
- Mesa Totemist will make some very good blocks with swiftstrike and can buff all your Clerics more or less each turn (yours and your opponent's)!
- Cheery Songbird will be used with great effect both for blocking and attacking as you'll often be gaining health!
- Angel of Glory is a flying Avatar (and Quick troop), and will allow you to attack or block with all your troops during the late game and get them back if they died!

OTHER OPTIONS TO CONSIDER
- Incantation of Righteousness: to get a nice buff to your troops really fast.
- Clash of Steel: to clear the board if your opponent have a really high number of troops.
- Soul Slaver: to spawn a Phantom (1/1 Flying body) more or less each turn (yours or your opponent's).

Do you feel relieved? Will you be playing her, or just include her in your party? Let us know what you think about this healthy mercenary.
My intro thread
My cards wishlist / equipment wishlist

IGN: ShadowRealm | Dungeon Crawler / Pro Player
Posted Jan 3, 17 · OP
Admin
Arena Supreme Grand Master
Love the Aethynia deck! So much fun seeing your Paladin grow and grow - and then make him an angel for the 15/15 (or so) flying nightmare (for the AI). :d
Dungeon Crawler | Raid Leader | Collector
Keep: Hibbernathy
My trade list: http://www.unnamed-council.com/forum/m/13854161/viewthread/12749244-wants-astasyneri-hibbernathy
Posted Jan 17, 17
Here's wut I been runnin post Scars,kills about 80% of the PvE content.

Not the fastest deck out der, but is super consistent and the interactions between some cards are fun as heck !
ALSO ...
I recently realized that jest like Big Spider, the Great Machine Graveyard has a tough time dealing wit a big flyer.
If you need to clear it to move through AZ2 this is a great choice if yer not playing a Vennen ranger.

Troops
4x Glorious Pegasus (Head)
4x Halls of Kukatan (Trinket)
4x Chimeerkat (Chest)
4x Deathless Guardian
4x Righteous Paladin
3x Intrepid Conjuror
2x Daughter of the Poet
1x Angel of Atonement ( itsa avatar...)

Spells
4x Inner Conflict (Weapon)

Resources
20x Diamond Shard
3x Crackling Vortex

For those countin that's 61 cards so as to enable the use of Clatterclank fer the charge.
Katsuhiro fer tha udder.
That stars you out with a minimum one charge and two if ya lose the coin flip.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

George Bernard Shaw

Progress isn't made by early risers.
It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.

Robert A. Heinlein
Posted Mar 11, 17 · Last edited Mar 17, 17
"One big thing to take into account is that the troop is transformed WITHOUT being reverted! Which means that every buff and added ability will stick to the Angel once you use your Charge power: Valors, Blood Aura, Wild Aura, and even buff from Wild Root Dancer for example."

I dunno if this is a bug or Imma jest missing something, but you never keep the Lifedrain from Ethereal Healers for sum reason.

George Bernard Shaw

Robert A. Heinlein
Posted Mar 17, 17
Acolyte
Arena Apprentice
Because it's not an added effect, Lifedrain is a base included effect of Ethereal Healer.
My intro thread
My cards wishlist / equipment wishlist

IGN: ShadowRealm | Dungeon Crawler / Pro Player
Posted Mar 17, 17 · OP
Hmmm interestin.

Explains why it didn't werk on daughter of the poet jest now...mebbe I should go back to 4x gust mage fer the valors...

The deck really does not need any more life gain/drain as it is heehee...

George Bernard Shaw

Robert A. Heinlein
Posted Mar 17, 17 · Last edited Mar 17, 17
NoticeNotices